Steam locomotive Ty42-120

Manufacturer: the first Polish locomotive factory, Spółka Akcyjna w Chrzanowie (Fablok)
Serial number and year of manufacture: 1604/1946
Axle arrangement: 1’E
Maximum speed: 80 km/h

Steam overpressure in the boiler: 1,6 MPa (16 at)

Wheel diameter of wheel sets: 850/1400 mm
Tender series: 32D43 

Water/ Coal supply: 32 m³/10 t

Service mass of steam locomotive, tender included: 145 000 kg
Length over buffers: 22 975 mm

 

In 1945 locomotive factories in Chrzanów and in Poznań have undertaken the production of simplified war steam locomotives of German series 52  for the Polish State Railways. More than a dozen of first produced locomotives were marked in accordance with the  German designation in order to maintain the continuity of inventory numbers. Between 1945-46 150 locomotives were manufactured (67 by Fablok and 83 by H. Cegielski Spółka Akcyjna Poznań), for which by the regulation of 06 April 1945 the Ty42 series designation was introduced. In 1945 at least 10 units were at the disposal of the Red Army Central Board of Military Communications. Initially a series Ty42 served at all established by the Polish State Railways District Managements (apart from this located in Szczecin), and then from 1950 for 25 years they have been grouped in the area of Katowice District State Railways Management  (DOKP Katowice). The development of diesel traction contributed (since 1976) to the sale of a significant number of Ty42 locomotives by the Silesian District State Railways Management for the Lower Silesian, Pomerania, Western and Northern District State Railways Managements, where they were used for all purpuse together with twin Ty2 series.  The Ty42-120  locomotive began its service at Chebzie locomotive shed and ended it in Olsztyn. It was deleted from the Polish State Railways inventory on 15 June 1992.